Incorporating a stone fortification of the fourteenth century, the castle is the result of two stages of construction, the time of John Hunyadi (first half of XV century), which transforms into a military building features of the Gothic style residence, late phase, with the most advanced model patterns of military and civil architecture of the moment. Many Renaissance were added during the reign of Matthias Corvinus and Gabriel Bethlen, the second phase of construction of the fifteenth century and the seventeenth century, the last structural elements belonging to the eighteenth century. The general appearance is due to the current restoration of the nineteenth century to the twentieth century.
NEW TOWER OF GATE belongs, like the first time the construction of the first phase undertaken by John Hunyadi (1440 – 1444), at which time he was a rectangular tower defense, with three levels (one downstairs and two floors), placed in the north-western city of Hunedoara. In the seventeenth century through the ground floor of the tower is arranged a new entry to the castle, the input is used today. Also the initial functionality of the tower is abandoned, its defense floors being converted into habitable rooms. In the late nineteenth century, this tower is I added a new floor, comes with a wooden gallery, and the current roof
OLD TOWER OF GATE is located in the south – east of the enclosure built in the first phase of construction dated at the time of John Hunyadi. Rectagulara form, with two levels of protection to overlap access corridor, but have provided the battlements and the floor was covered with an exterior painting geometric motifs
TOWER CAPISTANO is located in the south – west of the palace belonging to the first phase of construction of John Hunyadi. Originally the section was a circular tower with two levels of protection, the upper floor being embattled. During the second phase of John Hunyadi, the upper level is transformed into a living room (cell) for the Franciscan friar John of Capistrano (1386-1456). In this room can be found gothic fireplace that heated the room monk, currently the only piece of its kind in the regions that were part of the medieval kingdom of Hungary.
Artillery Terrace (Bastion ammunition) is built in the first half of the seventeenth century, in the same momentu White Tower, while Gabriel Bethlen. It shows as a platform for artillery, with embattled top, designed to support heavy weapons fire, forming together with the White Tower of the castle defensive system on the eastern side, adapted defensive system of the eighteenth century, when artillery had reached a development in relation to the fifteenth century.
Drummer TOWER is located on the eastern side of the castle is also a circular tower with two levels of defense (second floor room and the embattled Marines) as the Capistrano Tower or Tower wilderness. It also is built throughout the first phase of John Hunyadi (1440-1444). Current appearance of the tower, with what looks like an upper floor living room, which is a beautiful neo-Gothic vault is due to the stages of restoration in the late nineteenth century, at which point the direct passage of the living room and arranged Bethlen on this floor.
BUZDUGAN TOWER (TOWER painter) is the tallest tower in the first phase of construction of John Hunyadi (1440-1444), features a single level of defense, supported by consoles. At the time of its construction, was used as an observation tower, a dome-shaped roof or hemispherical, which justify the first name, and in the second half of the fifteenth century the tower outside the body is covered with a painting in three colors ordered in geometric (diamond) which can be seen today. In the late nineteenth century restoration alter the appearance of a high roof, like a helmet and placed on top of the roof of a bronze statue of a medieval knight wearing the battle flag is inscribed the year when the statue was placed in that place (1873].
Administrative Palace is left on the southern side of the castle and also called Zólyomi Wing, named after the noble family that owned the castle in the second half of the seventeenth century. It comprises three levels, ground floor building is attributed to the XVI century. the other two floors were built in the castle was owned by the prince Gabriel Bethlen. The general appearance of this part of the city of Hunedoara is changed in the eighteenth century, when the castle passed from private ownership of state owned (since 1724), the period covered in this wing are furnished offices of the Iron Mining Administration Glade Mountain Rust. Fire in 1854 severely affect the southern part of the castle, the current picture of the wings is the result of the restoration works undertaken in the late nineteenth century.
Knights Hall is built in the second stage of the works of John Hunyadi (1446 – 1456) and is part of the palace itself, along with Hall and spiral staircase. The hall is located in the western side of the castle, the floor is the Great Palace built in late Gothic style. The hall is divided into two sectors by a row of octagonal columns. The capital of the second is an inscription in Latin, written with Gothic characters: “This paper has made a proud and mighty John Hunyadi, governor of the Hungarian kingdom in the year of our Lord 1452.” functionality of this room was to dining room at festive occasions and meetings courtroom for nobles, after the German model.
CHAPEL CITY HUNEDOARA is framed, in terms of building momentum in the second phase of John Hunyadi (1446-1456). Ecclesiastical building character, is developed in the late Gothic style, like all civil constructions built in that time. The chapel is made of a single ship preceded by a small narthex, the dividing line between these two constituents are on the pillars that support a gallery with gallery. Patron of the monastery was at the Catholic St John Botezatoru. The current layout is different from the fifteenth century by the fact that the vault was lowered by 1.56 meters in the first half of the seventeenth century, during the refurbishment works at the castle of Hunedoara initiated by Prince Gabriel Bethen, when the chapel is dedicated reformed rite.
Hall is a space dedicated to secular ceremonies, conducted in mid-fifteenth century, in the second phase of construction from the time of John Hunyadi. Together with the Knights hall, spiral staircase and chapel, Hall changed the destination city in Hunedoara fortified noble residence, the only of its kind in Transylvania that time. Hall, built in Gothic style, is the central axis of a row of octagonal columns and a gallery on the western side bellows provided on the outside with a decorative late Gothic and Renaissance elements early. This space suffers changes in the seventeenth century, when subdivided by a wooden ceiling and interior walls, resulting in six residential apartments. It comes complete with a fresco which includes portraits of friends, family medallions Gabriel Bethlen. The fire destroyed the premises in 1854 and restored between 1956 to 1968 and have played the original image.
BEARS pit is actually a space between two curtains (Matthias Wing of the eastern wall and a portion of the defense wall designed by John Hunyadi in its first phase of construction). This area is famous here because of the legend according to which prisoners were thrown wild beasts, the legend that is certainly the source of the name of this part of the castle.
LEGEND Fountain – The fountain tells it like it was dug by three Turkish prisoners, John Hunyadi who promised that he will release the complete work. Animate release prisoners of hope in a rock drill for 15 years up to 28 feet deep and manage to find the precious water. Meanwhile, John Hunyadi died and his wife, Elizabeth Szilaghi, decided not to respect promises her husband and ordered the killing of three prisoners. As a last wish those three Turks have asked permission to write an inscription on the fountain keys to her: “Water of the heart in you”as a reproach to the promise made and missed. The translation made by Michael Globloglu tells us that “one who is digging Hasan, giaours prisoner at the fortress near the church.” Ancient Arabic characters contained in an inscription dating to the mid-fifteenth century. Current position of this inscription is one of the abutments of the chapel.